Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Cran-Blue Sauce RECIPE

I wanted something sweet tonight (4-28), so I grabbed a 16 oz. bag of frozen cranberries from the freezer, along with 2 cups of frozen blueberries and popped them on the stove in (roughly) a cup and a half of cold water.
photo taken 11-26-14

Now, I am not a fan of the recipe on the bag - that is entirely TOO much sugar for my tastes. So when the cranberries began to burst I added to the 3+ cups of fruit and liquid, about 1 to 1  1/4 cup sugar in the raw. Then I zested 1/2 a lemon and squeezed the juice from the whole fruit and continued stirring.

It is AWESOME! The blueberries stayed whole for the most part. They took on a firmer texture and also some of the cranberry flavor. I think next time, I will put in less sugar and see how the tartness level is.



*Update 5/7/13*
I am extremely excited to say that my Dad - who normally refuses to eat fresh cranberry sauce - demolished this batch. Mainly he ate it as a snack with yogurt. Even my brother who dislikes cranberry sauce with the seeds & skins still in it ate some. 


No comments:

Post a Comment